Driving through the gates of Montaluce Winery and Restaurant you forget that you are in rural Georgia. The sloping vineyards, the Italian style villas, the beautiful tasting room and restaurant transports you to wine country (or perhaps even another country!). Fortunately, Montaluce is only a beautiful two hour drive from my home so it makes for the perfect get-away on a spring day.
Yesterday was my second time visiting Montaluce and it was just as enjoyable as the first. While the food and wine are great anytime, the real treat is to visit on a beautiful day and sit outside on the large terrace overlooking the vineyards for a three hour lunch or dinner. Of course, you can enjoy a faster meal if your time is limited, but try to allow plenty of time to take advantage of the full experience and allow your shoulders to relax as you settle into the first course of your meal. I already look forward to returning again in a couple of weeks!
The menu changes regularly as local produce, cheese, and proteins are available. The local providers are listed on the menu which is always a great touch for those of us who like to know from where our food comes. Typically, there are several small plate options for both vegetarians and pescatarians, as well as a vegetarian sandwich, a vegetarian entrée, and a fish entrée. And be sure to save room for dessert ~ the chocolate cremeux with olive oil and sea salt is amazing!!
- creme of celeriac soup, charred onion jam, citra hops
- san marzano tomato soup, citrus, ginger, black garlic, fried brioche
- hydroponic salad, grapes, radish, pine nuts, sherry vinaigrette
- 5 types local cheese, lavash, accompaniments
- grilled goat cheese sandwich, san marzano tomato soup
- pancake fat stack, scrambled eggs, fried potatoes
- brioche french toast, vanilla caramel, scrambled eggs, fried potatoes
- cured salmon, mustard, cucumber, preserved lemon, galangal sorbet
- smoked trout, quinoa, kale, bentons country ham, satsuma, champagne vinaigrette (request no ham)
- sapelo island clams, saffron risotto, charred garlic, sundried tomato, truffle fat
- carolina trout, red kurri squash, hon shimieji, cranberry beans, miso, brown butter, yellow curry oil