Yes, it’s touristy. However, don’t let that deter you from a great meal at the Loeb Boathouse Central Park. Having only one full day in the city I knew I wanted to visit the museums around the park, as well as explore the park itself. With a day this busy lunch reservations are a must, and since I would already be in the park it was the obvious, and admittedly exciting, solution.
Rain was looming all day, fortunately it held out until I entered the boathouse, and then it poured. It was great fun to watch the rowers try to rush to the shore, even though they were already soaked. It was a rain that just dropped all at once and stayed for a while with no warning sprinkles. However, the covered porch at the Boathouse could not have been a better place to enjoy lunch and the rain. After an extremely hot and humid day, the cool breeze coming off the rain and lake was refreshing and relaxing. While I try to take each experience for what it is, I do have a habit of comparing to previous experiences. The Loeb Boathouse Central Park reminded me of a great lunch my husband and I enjoyed in France a few years ago (I now realize I never wrote about that experience – that will be my next post!). Throughout my lunch I could not have felt more fortunate – fortunate to have the summers off, fortunate to be in such a beautiful place, fortunate to have avoided the rain, fortunate to have other amazing experiences to reflect upon, and fortunate to be comfortable enjoying time alone.
The menu examples below are from the lunch menu. There are separate menus for brunch and dinner on the website: http://www.thecentralparkboathouse.com/lakeside-menus.php
- Roasted Beets, Dandelion Greens, Sunflower Seeds, Poblano Vinaigrette
- Mixed Lettuces Basil Sherry Vinaigrette, Snipped Herbs, Shallots
- Housemade Cavatelli, Roasted Cauliflower, Toasted Almonds, Shaved Ricotta Salata
- Celery Root Ravioli, Shitake Mushroom, Braised Herbs, Saba
- Jumbo Lump Crab Cake, Cucumber, Tomato, Onion Salad, and Caper Remoulade Sauce (Delicious! Do not miss this if you are a crab cake fan!)
- Black Sea Bass Crudo, Julienne Mango, Pickled Shallots, Coriander
- King Fish Escabeche, Frissee, White Asparagus, Grapefruit, Shaved Bottarga
- Sautéed Skate, Fennel, Italian Parsley, Kalamata Olives, Red Onions, Orange Supreme
- Scottish Salmon, Chickpea Puree and Grilled Baby Romaine Salad
- Sautéed Sea Scallops, Nappa Cabbage, Scallions, Ramen Noodles, Oxtail Broth
Reservations are encouraged – otherwise, expect a long wait: http://www.thecentralparkboathouse.com/lakeside.php